There are some 1D Pong projects on the interwebs such as monoPong and One dimensional PONG, take two which inspired me making my own. So, here it is. My take on One Dimensional PONG.

DSC 5395

The main parts are an ATtiny2313, two tactile push buttons, 12 LEDs, and one buzzer to get some simple sound effects. I have also added a reverse polarity protection 1N4148 diode and a 0.1uF capacitor to stabilize the power supply. 


1D PONG was also my very first circuit board designed using CadSoft’s EAGLE. There are many great Eagle tutorials out there. I watched the complete YouTube series of tutorials by rpcelectronics, starting with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0O9LKH-_E

1dpong board

Picking a PCB fab house took quite some time of googling around. I settled for OSH Park. Their prices seem reasonable. The standard deal is that you get three copies of your 2-layer boards at $5 per square inch, $27.75 w/o shipping in my case. They allow you to directly upload your EAGLE files, i.e. no need to create gerber files, and there’s instant rendition of how your board is going to look like.

The downside of ordering it from a fab house instead of etching it yourself, is that you have got to be patient. I ordered mine on Jan 9th, it shipped on Jan 24th, and arrived about a week later.

1dpong oshpark

So, did it work? Yes, it did! There were three little glitches …, First, I inadvertently swapped LED11 and LED12 in the schematic. This was easy to fix in software. Secondly, the strain relief holes for the battery leads were too small. Well, easy to fix with a bigger drill bit.

Lastly, all my traces are 8mils wide which is pretty tiny and not really necessary in this project. I wish I had read Sparkfun’s Better PCBs in Eagle before: “Just because a fab house can handle down to 5mil traces and 6mil space doesn’t mean you should design with those sizes”. Many fab houses including OSH Park provide their own EAGLE design rule check files so you can verify the board. It turned out all fine in my case, but next time I am going to use a wider trace width to be on the safe side.


It actually works:

[vimeo 65494435 w=600&h=400]

Designed files and AVR code is on github.

This entry was posted in attiny2313, avr and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s